Here are some tips to keep your landscaping happy in January!
- A dry winter day is a good time to mow the lawn and remove fallen leaves and pine needles.
- Inspect your yard for winter weeds and pull or spray.
- Plant hardy evergreens, shrubs, and fruit and shade trees.
- Remove unattractive plants and replace.
- Transplant established trees and shrubs while they are dormant, and as long as the ground isn’t frozen or too wet.
- Prune with a purpose. Do not “top” any trees or shrubs. Never leave stubs. Cut flush against remaining branches on shrubs and along the branch collar on trees.
- Clean, sharpen and repair all your garden and lawn tools.
- Clean and have your power mower, edger and trimmer serviced.
- Continue to mulch leaves from the lawn and remove debris from turf areas to reduce disease and insect problems.
- Pre-emergent herbicides are applied with the year’s first mulching, and must be reapplied for effective year-round control.
If you’re ready to start checking off your 2021 To Do’s, Gardens of Babylon Landscapes is here to help! Whether you are interested in beginning a new landscape project or adding on to an existing one in 2020, January is a great time to start planning the landscape of your dreams! To get started, schedule a call with one of our talented design team members.